iPhone 6s to Pixel 3



Recently I needed to upgrade my cell phone and I was seriously contemplating going back to Android.  I had been a long-time Android user, but 4 years ago I switched to the iPhone.  I managed to carry the same iPhone 6s during those 4 years. 

My rationale for switching to an iPhone initially was for fewer options.  I just wanted things to work and not have to research and download different apps to do the same thing, test them out, and then choose one.  I was okay with Apple telling me what app to use in exchange for it working well.  The iPhone did as expected and I was satisfied with my choice. 

For work, I was using a MacBook Air and appreciated that it was light, fast, and small.  Having an iPhone introduced to the capabilities of iMessaging on multiple devices.  Yes, I was hooked.  At the time my daughters didn’t have cell phones but could iMessage me via their Apple device which was nice when traveling.  However, the biggest drawback for the iPhone was Microsoft Office.  The Office apps on Mac were not up to par.

Office for Mac 2016 was GA in 2015.  After installing it I realized it was better, but still not the same as Office 2016 for Windows.  Deciding to search for other options lead me to VMware Fusion.  I had an iPhone 6s, MacBook Air, Fusion, Windows 10 Pro, and Office for Windows.  My technology portfolio was complete, or so I thought. 

As time went on, I started spending all my computing time on the Windows side of my Mac.  I would boot up the Mac, boot up Fusion/Windows 10 and only go back to Mac for iMessages.  My current setup was frustrating because the keyboard layout didn’t allow me to use some of the native shortcuts I wanted to use.  Also,  the performance wasn’t optimal because I was running two machines on a MacBook Air.  The processor usually ran hot and the battery life wasn’t as good.   I realized it was overkill just to keep texting from my laptop.

In November of 2016, the Dell XPS 13 released a new “MacBook Air killer”.  Same footprint, bigger screen and ran Windows 10.  I left my MacBook and I am currently using that XPS purchased in November 2017.  It isn’t perfect, but I like this machine!  Since then I have been carrying an iPhone 6s and the XPS. 

Continually I searched for apps to get iMessages on my Windows 10 device.  I have Workstation, but Apple doesn’t authorize software for this.  I tried 5 or 6 different software solutions to connect the phone and PC.  Some worked, but it wasn’t consistent and most didn’t work at all. 

At this point, my cell phone was in dire need of an upgrade.  It was 4 years old.  The iPhone had served me well and lived a good life, but the time had come to recycle it.  I realized the only Apple product I was using was the iPhone and just the hardware.  I had quit using the native apps in favor of Microsoft and Google.

The day came when I decided to consolidate ecosystems and switch to the Pixel 3.

I’ve been a Pixel 3 user now for a month and thus far like the device.  The ability to easily text from my laptop is a major factor for me.  As mentioned, I was already using Google for photo backup.  My Office Apps are just the same.  Since I don’t have any other Apple devices, everything works better.  For example, my Garmin watch connects to my phone more consistently and reliably. 

I have no regrets switching devices.  The Pixel isn’t perfect, but I do not have any desire to switch back to Apple.  Let’s see what happens 4 years from now when I get my next upgrade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

vExpert Application: What VMUG Members Should Know

DATA PROTECTION CONTENT PREVIEW – DELL TECH WORLD EDITION!

MEMBER HCI INSIGHTS – THREE-YEAR TRENDS